pX Poly Paint is a 3Ds Max script I felt the need to develop when I started creating #LowPoly style models. They are based on a fundamental principle: each face will have a single flat color from a texture pixel.
Then, we don’t need to make traditional UV Mapping, just map all the vertices of each polygon to a pixel in the texture because I want to use a texture, not a different material for each color. So just use a hands-on MAXScript and there it is.
Watch the demonstration video:
This helps to make the UV Mapping + Texturing much quicker, and the size of the textures can be very small because they will act now as a color palette and you can even share the same tiny texture with many 3D models. The model featured in this post uses this 128x128px texture:
The UV Mapping looks like this, where dots are faces with all their vertices sharing the same pixel:
I think adopting this style and using the polygon painting tool is good for low budget game development, especially for mobile games. Besides the low texture sizes, the other advantage is that since faces are filled with flat colors you will never see texture pixelation and your low poly style 3D models will look nice on any high definition display.
Installation: Run the macro script PolyPaint.ms, and find it under ‘pX Tools’ category as ‘Poly UV Painter’ when customizing your menus.
Requisites: The object to paint has to be an Editable Poly with a UV_Unwrap modifier applied and a material with a diffused bitmap. (These requirements could change in the future)
– With the object selected click ‘Start Paint Tool’. It will display the texture on the window.
– Click on the image to select a texel color and paint over the 3D object.
– Check ‘Mirror Paint’ to paint mirrored along the X-axis if your model is symmetrical.
– ‘Spread’ value allows to increase the size of the “brush”.
– ‘Full Repaint’ to repaint the whole object or selected faces with the current color.
– ‘Fill Area’ performs a flood fill algorithm on the polygons. (This was cool to implement).
– ‘Undo’ to undo operation made by this tool. Standard Max Undo will not work. (Also fun code here).
Secret Tip: Press Alt+Click to pick the color right directly from the 3D object!
- pX Quick Morph Sliders Creation Tool for 3Ds Max pX Quick Morph Sliders is a great time saver MacroScript for automated creation of slider controls using shapes. It only takes a few clicks and you'll have controls wired to morph channels. Features: - Mixing up to 4 channels. - Restoring controls. - Creating multiple or selected. - Name…
- Free 3D Models of Donald Trump and Joe Biden in Low… Historical elections are coming to United Sates. Americans have a very hard decision to make. From one side they have Sleepy Joe, who is dangerous because is too... sleepy, and to the other side Puntin's 200k-covid-deaths Trump who is better at everything doing anything in the universe, because he says…
- $39.00 Hamburger!? Who Would buy 3D Digital Models? I asked myself the same question years ago when I had only a dozen models published at TurboSquid, and gradually, I realized that the number of situations that can lead people to buy a 3D digital model were countless and certainly growing. There are innumerable kinds of 3D content needed…