pX Poly Paint is a 3ds Max script I felt the need to develop when started creating #LowPoly style models. Based on a basic principle: Each face will have a single flat color from a texture pixel.
Then we don’t need to make traditional UV Mapping, just map all a vertices of each polygon to a pixel in the texture… because I want to use a texture, not a different material for each color. So hands on MAXScript and there it is.
Watch the demonstration video:
Right click to Download the script from GitHub HERE!
This helps to make the UV Mapping + Texturing much quicker, and the textures size can be very small, because they will act now as a color pallete and you can even share the same tiny texture with many 3D models. The model featured in this post use this128x128px texture:
The UV Mapping looks like this, where dots are a faces with all their vertices sharing the same pixel:
I think adopting this style and using the polygon painting tool is good for low budget game development, specially for mobile games. Besides the low texture sizes the other advantage is that since faces are filled with flat colors you will never see texture pixelation and your lwo poly style 3D models will look nice on any high definition display.
Installation: Run the macro script PolyPaint.ms, and find it under ‘pX Tools’ category as ‘Poly UV Painter’ when customizing your menus.
Requisites: The object to paint has to be an Editable Poly with a UV_Unwrap modifier applied and a material with diffuse bitmap. (These requirements could change in the future)
– With the object selected click ‘Start Paint Tool’. It will display the texture on window.
– Click on the image to select a texel color and paint over the 3D object.
– Check ‘Mirror Paint’ to paint mirrored along the X axis if your model is symmetrical.
– ‘Spread’ value allow increase the size of the “brush”.
– ‘Full Repaint’ to repaint the whole object or selected faces with current color.
– ‘Fill Area’ performs a flood fill algorithm on the polygons.. (This was cool to implement).
– ‘Undo’ to undo operation made by this tool. Standard Max Undo will not work. (Also fun code here).
Secret Tip: Press Alt+Click to pick the color right directly from the 3D object!
- Free Lowpoly Donald Trump 3D Character Lowpoly Donald Trump 3D Character is a minimalist artistic representation inspired by the most relevant features of the real person. Rigged in 3ds Max and ready to use for animations and games. Includes FBX format and Unity Demo. Brought for you, by me, for FREE download using Creative Commons Attribution…
- Free LowPoly Style Casual Couple 3D Characters I'm giving away for free download this male and female 3D rigged characters. LowPoly 3D style is not only attractive is also easy to handle, lightweight mesh data ideal for mobile games and presentations. Characters in very low polygon count don't have to be ugly, the right hand-made simplification preserving…
- pX Quick Morph Sliders creation tool for 3ds Max pX Quick Morph Sliders is a great time saver MacroScript for automated creation of sliders controls using shapes. Only a few clicks and you'll have controls wired to morph channels.Features:- Mixing up to 4 channels- Restoring controlles.- Creating multiple or selected.- Name prefix and shape colors.- Visual feedback!Download from TurboSquid…