pX Poly Paint is a 3ds Max script I felt the need to develop when started creating #LowPoly style models. Based on a basic principle: Each face will have a single flat color from a texture pixel.
Then we don’t need to make traditional UV Mapping, just map all a vertices of each polygon to a pixel in the texture… because I want to use a texture, not a different material for each color. So hands on MAXScript and there it is.
Watch the demonstration video:
This helps to make the UV Mapping + Texturing much quicker, and the textures size can be very small, because they will act now as a color pallete and you can even share the same tiny texture with many 3D models. The model featured in this post use this128x128px texture:
The UV Mapping looks like this, where dots are a faces with all their vertices sharing the same pixel:
I think adopting this style and using the polygon painting tool is good for low budget game development, specially for mobile games. Besides the low texture sizes the other advantage is that since faces are filled with flat colors you will never see texture pixelation and your lwo poly style 3D models will look nice on any high definition display.
Installation: Run the macro script PolyPaint.ms, and find it under ‘pX Tools’ category as ‘Poly UV Painter’ when customizing your menus.
Requisites: The object to paint has to be an Editable Poly with a UV_Unwrap modifier applied and a material with diffuse bitmap. (These requirements could change in the future)
– With the object selected click ‘Start Paint Tool’. It will display the texture on window.
– Click on the image to select a texel color and paint over the 3D object.
– Check ‘Mirror Paint’ to paint mirrored along the X axis if your model is symmetrical.
– ‘Spread’ value allow increase the size of the “brush”.
– ‘Full Repaint’ to repaint the whole object or selected faces with current color.
– ‘Fill Area’ performs a flood fill algorithm on the polygons.. (This was cool to implement).
– ‘Undo’ to undo operation made by this tool. Standard Max Undo will not work. (Also fun code here).
Secret Tip: Press Alt+Click to pick the color right directly from the 3D object!
Still here!? Well then you deserve the bonus stuff:
Download the cute Lowpoly Owl for free here! (Use CC License)
Right click to Download the script from GitHub HERE!
- Free Lowpoly Donald Trump 3D Character Lowpoly Donald Trump 3D Character is a minimalist artistic representation inspired by the most relevant features of the real person. Rigged in 3ds Max and ready to use for animations and games. Includes FBX format and Unity Demo. Brought for you, by me, for FREE download using Creative Commons Attribution…
- Joining Images to Create Sprite Sheet: Update to pX… I made this free script a few years ago for easy rendering of multiple views of an animated character in 3ds Max. My script leave the rendered frames as separated images, and I recommended the use of free utility "Glueit" to join them after. Recently I noticed the link to…
- Donald Trump High Quality 3D Caricature (Free… Many people are saying, this is the best 3D Trump caricature of the Internet. Believe me. After 2 years on TurboSquid it has more downloads than any other president ever, specially Obama. Winning bigly! Today on CyberMonday we're going to make Trump 3D Model free. Denys is tired of winning, he's a…